This week in history shares tragedy of 9/11, the beauty of Miss America and the King of Rock N’ Roll makes his first appearance on a national stage. Born this week, hip hop artists Nas and Wiz Khalifia as well as comedians Adam Sandler and Louis CK.
Monday, September 8th
- In 1921, the first Miss America was crowned as Washington, DC’s Margaret Gorman would become the first woman to adorn the honor. Also in 1966. Trekies everywhere were born as NBC first airs Star Trek.
- Born on this day, musical sensations Wiz Khalifia who was born in 1987 and uber DJ, Avicii was born in 1989.
Tuesday, September 9th
- In 1955, the King of Rock n’ Roll, Elvis Presley first appears on the Ed Sullivan Show. In boxing, Mike Tyson was indicted in 1991 for the rape of Desiree Washington.
- Born on this day in 1966 is comedian Adam Sandler, who is probably looking for a rematch with Bob Barker on his birthday. Meanwhile, Knicks guard JR Smith who was born in 1985 is still untying everyone shoes.
Wednesday, September 10th
- In 1989, Primetime was born as Deion Sanders takes his first punt return for a touchdown to the house for 68 yards for the Atlanta Falcons. And all the way back in 1955, Gunsmoke premiers on CBS.
- Born on this day in 1949 is WWE Hall of Famer, the Magnificent one… Don Muraco. Famous for his fueds with Jimmy “Superfly” Snuka and his time with the WWF (WWE).
Thursday, September 11th
- In 2001, the tragedy of 9/11 takes place in New York at the World Trade Center, Washington, DC at the Pentagon and in Pennsylvania as flight 93 crashes with an unknown destination. Today we pay tribute to the many innocent lives lost.
- Born on this day in 1978 is former Raven and University of Miami safety, Ed Reed. And in 1965, the master manipulator, wrestling advocate Paul Heyman was born to go on and become one of the greatest mouthpieces in wrestling history.
Friday, September 12th
- In 1940, Four teenagers follow their dog down a hole in France and discover the 17,000 year old Lascaux Cave Paintings and in 1976, the current defending Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks played their first regular season game. Losing to the St Louis Cardinals 30-24.
- Born on this day in 1951 is actor Joe Pantoliano aka Joey Pants, in 1966, musician Ben Folds and in 1967, Louis CK comes out of the womb cracking political satire.
Saturday, September 13th
- In 1909, Ty Cobb clinches the American League Home Run title with 9 homers. All inside the park. Yes, 9. Also, in 1977, General Motors introduces the first diesel engine automobile (Oldsmobile).
- Born on this day in 1965, professional poker player Annie Duke and in 1977, singer and songwriter Fiona Apple.
Sunday, September 14th
- In 1968, News documentary institution “60 Minutes” debuts on CBS and in 1986, Bo Jackson blasts his first home run. A 475 monster shot at Royal Stadium. Bo knows home runs.
- Born on this day in 1973 is legendary hip hop icon, Nasir Jones aka Nas. The New York MC turns 41.
- 60 Minutes
- Adam Sandler
- Annie Duke
- Atlanta Falcons
- Baltimore Ravens
- Bo Jackson
- Deion Sanders
- Don Muraco
- Ed Reed
- Ed Sullivan Show
- Elvis Presley
- Fiona Apple
- General Motors
- JR Smith
- Lascaux Cave Paintings
- Margaret Gorman
- Miami Hurricanes
- Mike Tyson
- Miss America
- Paul Heyman
- Seattle Seahawks
- Star Trek
- Ty Cobb
- Wiz Khalifia
Husband, father, craft bartender, writer and content creator.